Awards Description and Criteria
First Annual Baseball Awards Banquet
Award Descriptions and Criteria
Player of the Year: 11UA, 11UAA, 13UA, 13UAA, 13UAAA, 15UA, 15UAA, 15UAAA, 18UA, 18UAA, 18UAAA (11 awards)
- The Player of the Year Awards will be awarded to the most outstanding player in each league, in their division. These players demonstrate dedication to the sport and their team, exceptional skill at their level, sportsmanship and leadership. These players have a significant impact on the overall performance and success of their team. The winner will have had the largest positive impact on the team on and off the field.
Grassroots Coach of the Year; High Performance Coach of the Year (2 awards)
- The WS Coaches of the Year go above and beyond for their team. This award will be awarded to a Coach who is a strong advocate for the game, treats his players and coaching staff with respect, and is dedicated to the development of his players. These coaches promote sportsmanship and teamwork amongst their players and are strong ambassadors for the Winnipeg South program.
Volunteer of the Year
- This award winner will be a advocate for the game with support for teams and the association through exceptional volunteerism. This person gives back to the game and has a genuine love for baseball and the organization of it. Ideally this successful nominee will show a significant impact on the association as a whole, or be a person that a team couldn’t have made it successfully through the season without their volunteerism—someone who has made Winnipeg South a better organization!
Youth Umpire of the Year (21U)
- This award will recognize outstanding contributions to the Association by an umpire under 21. The winner will aspire to do their best as an official, ensures the integrity of the game on a consistent basis, and conducts themselves respectfully when faced with contention.
Female Player of the Year
- The WS Female Player of the Year will be awarded to a female playing at any age group in Winnipeg South, who demonstrates a love for the game, brings a unique perspective to their team and coaches and promotes teamwork and sportsmanship.
Grassroots Team of the Year; High Performance Team of the Year (2 awards)
- Both these award winners will represent what it really means to be a team. There is team work, player comradery, a special relationship between coaches and players, ultimate sportsmanship, and a positive exhibition of the game. These teams may have shown exemplary results over the course of the season, or be a team who came from behind and demonstrated exceptional development.
Challenger Player of the Year
- The Challenger Player of the Year will be awarded to a player involved in the Challenger program. He/she will enjoy the game of baseball, look forward to upcoming games, make friends with their weekly Buddies, and be a positive and enjoyable player to coach! We see this award winner as a player with a constant smile on their face when they are at their Challenger games!
Anthony Block Memorial Spirit of the Game Award
- This award is in honour and memory of our 2017 and 2018 AAA Coach, Anthony Block, who passed away suddenly in July 2018. Like Anthony, the nominees for this award will have a unique and unmoving respect for the game of baseball, who goes above and beyond in their role, who leads with their heart and brings something to the game that not every player/coach/volunteer brings. The award winner will be a good teammate or mentor, promotes fair play, and have respect for not only teammates and opponents, but also the games’ values.